Monday, January 18, 2010

R&R

After a big week of training, I’m exhausted. Both mental and physical parts of me just need time to chill. With that said though, I’m tired in the best possible way a cyclist can be. Yesterday’s ride was shortened a bit from five hours to three and a half due me half feeling like I was going to fall asleep on my handlebars, but that ride put me at 24.5 hours for the week...satisfactory and then some! As a result, today’s activities are highly structured around doing things that I have neglected earlier on in the week when all I wanted to do was ride and eat. Laundry being wayy up there on the priority list. Slowly, throughout the week as I chose to put that chore on the backburner I noticed that I was having to resort to using my least favorite pair of bibs with a mega rip in the crotch and almost having to resort to re-using socks.

Trying to fix a crazy creaking noise coming from my bottom bracket is number two on the list which should just take some time and good old grease.
At some point today I really should go grocery shopping. Its amazing how much my intake volume has increased since arriving here. I guess I shouldn’t really be surprised though, lots of riding will do that. I do have to congratulate myself on my cooking thus far. I’ve always enjoyed cooking and eating well but riding this much and having to eat so much as a result has really opened doors for me to experiment with some recipes. Yesterday for example was another pizza creation. Started with a gluten-free crust and then basically emptied the vegetable contents of my fridge on top and voila, delicious.

My excitement is growing exponentially with every passing moment it seems, as my girlfriend arrives at the end of the month and my mountain bike should arrive any day now. I’m very much looking forward to my first race of the season which also just so happens to be a UCI sanctioned race. Still not sure exactly how deep the points go, and it is usually a massive field in Fontana, but this could be an opportunity for me to snag some points nice and early. I’m not holding my breath though, because aside from the fact that it is my first race of the season, it is also my first race as an elite, which will hugely affect my start position…in a negative way. You really can’t be, nor is there any point to being a pessimist in a situation like this though because I’m totally excited and I have to start somewhere, let’s just hope I have a great day.

Last order of business today is to be jealous of my co-workers, who are taking the day off work to go ride all day at Joyride 150, the new, much talked about indoor bike park that is nothing short of amazing. Hope everyone has an awesome time and takes lots of pictures!

Time to head home from the coffee shop to go stretch and do more laundry.

4 hours tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. So my little expert. What should I be eating before and after big runs for a good (long lasting) hit of carbs? i just can't get my head around those gel things. I know, I should try one before I decide. I'm digging that baguette with nutella and banana idea. Aunty M

    ReplyDelete